Monday, August 05, 2013

Why I MUST buy books online ?

Today was a special day.
Like every other day at office leaving time, I passed a message to my car colleagues, that I need to visit a book store to purchase a book, an expensive interesting new age information book.
And if that book was purchased, I would read it tonight, all night.

Nothing more interesting in a single man's life, a book purchase , OMG I need to get married soon.
If only that would soften my miserable existence and current condition. God,are you listening?
Umm coming back to my book purchase situation. 
A senior gentleman at work, immediately asked me why I was not purchasing this book online ? I promptly replied to him as follows :-
" Sir there is no Charm of a book purchase in an online store, moresoever I'm old school, I like to browse and I need an atmosphere that is condusive to my book purchases.
Plus I am an esteemed member of a very chic bookstore.
And did I mention they also have a very chic up market cafe, where I normally run up a nice bill as well.
Everybody wins, everybody happy and I would have that book in my possession soon with a gleam on my face.
Plus I checked that bookstore online, they have it in stock available .
Smiles on faces all around. Nothing can go wrong here ?
Little me is going to the bookstore.
Kind of like, Elvis is in the building, situation happening shortly."my reply ended, my enthusiasm continued.
That was then in office, this is now, post my visit to the chic book store, eating a gingerbread piece , purchased from the bookstore's cafe, minus the book, sad face here.
You ask me "Where is the book "? I reply back "Sorry no book !"
Allow me to share the sequence of events.
I entered the book store, walked up to the counter with the fancy dumb terminal that serves as a wonder machine for search enthusiasts. This is where they enter details of your requirement and instantly claim if they have that particular item in store or not.
I requested a search for my particular book, reply received. "Sorry sir, no such book available."
Gulp! Requested please try with author name spelled out, "sorry sir no such author"
 To top it all the junior asked a senior manager with a tie,  a sort of Mister KNOWITALL who impromptu gave me a sneer look claiming he had not heard of any such author.
When I told them it is available in their store online, I was informed that is a separate department with separate stocks, not their lookout.
Hooray for Internet, after this post , I shall be making an online purchase from the same store only online, and hey icing on cake is, it has 24% discount offering over the Maximum retail price.
Some other night I shall read that book, -10 days waiting period.
And now someone ever wants me to author a book ?

3 comments:

Poarousasp's little corner in the big Internet said...

Update :-On ordering page it mentioned Ships within 10 days, and on the last payment made page it said, expected delivery 23-8-2013. Who aaa! Why am I not complaining yet smiling on a delay delivery,
1)I want to read that book, delay makes the reading more enjoyable now so.
2) I got a 24% discount , which the other sites do not offer.(I checked after placing my order, not before)

Poarousasp's little corner in the big Internet said...

Update as on 24th August 2013

Not having received my order, i checked my email and found the below mentioned email.

Now, i am seriously contemplating to change my viewpoint and make a new post on "Why WE Must NEVER buy books online ".

Talk about "inefficiency" in customer services :-
I feel cheated, due to this thinking pattern :-

1) The book is shown as "Available" online, thus i ordered it. If the book store does not have a book in store then why advertise it ?
I think it is to fill up dummy pages and attract more customers ?

2)The price & a rate of discount was shown, which gives and reassures the customer that the product is available. Moresoever order & payment is accepted in advance.

3)Today I received this email from the online book store :-

"...Dear Poarousasp@gmail.com,

We are extremely sorry to inform you that your Order #CWD361832081 in full/ part is still not processed by us. The unshipped products are still not available.

We understand the effort and time that you had put in to select the items and to place the order. We are really very sorry that we may not be able to deliver your order in case the unshipped products are not available at all. We tried our best to procure the items from our various stores and vendors in India and that is the reason we had to wait longer before we informed you. We were hope full that we will get the items but it did not work out.

However we will still try procuring the products from the next 3 days, failing which these products from your order will be cancelled.

We would also like to confirm that your Credit/ Debit card will not be charged for the products that are not shipped and the balance shall be credited back to your card. The reversal days will depend upon the holding period of your bank for an authorization.

Once again, apologies for the inconvenience caused and we are still trying to fulfill your order.

Item details:-
The following items from your Order CWD361832081 have not been shipped: .."

So this means the book store is not selling books, it is third party / commission agent of a seller ?
More to write shortly on this.

Poarousasp's little corner in the big Internet said...

Despite the above email, I had a phone conversation following up on my order. Lo and behold they actually delivered once the call was placed.
Customer service at its peak ?lol
The book lost its current peak , so I left it avoided reading it for nearly a month, when I read it, I was astonished and happy for the troubles I actually took to receive this ordered delivery.